pasÂ·sion Pronunciation Key (pshn)
- A powerful emotion, such as love, joy, hatred, or anger.
- Ardent love.
- Strong sexual desire; lust.
- The object of such love or desire.
- Boundless enthusiasm: His skills as a player don’t quite match his passion for the game.
- The object of such enthusiasm: Soccer is her passion.
- An abandoned display of emotion, especially of anger: He’s been known to fly into a passion without warning.
- The sufferings of Jesus in the period following the Last Supper and including the Crucifixion, as related in the New Testament.
- A narrative, musical setting, or pictorial representation of Jesus’s sufferings.
- Archaic. Martyrdom.
- Archaic. Passivity.